University of Findlay’s Mazza Museum, in conjunction with the Jane Addams Peace Association, will host the 2021 Jane Addams Children’s Book Award Virtual Ceremony on Wednesday, April 28, 2021, at 1:00 p.m. EST.
The ceremony will be presented virtually via Zoom Webinar and Facebook Live and include award presentations, addresses from award recipients, and a question-and-answer session. Webinar registrants will receive a link to the recorded session following the event. Registration is available on the Mazza Museum’s website.
The Jane Addams Children’s Book Award has recognized children’s books of literary and aesthetic excellence annually since 1953. Books which receive this prestigious award effectively engage children in thinking about peace, social justice, global community, and equity for all people. Books chosen for the award are selected by a national committee with expertise in children’s literature and social justice.
Titles to be honored at the event include:
- “We Are Water Protectors,” written by Carole Lindstrom, illustrated by Michaela Goade, and published by Roaring Brook Press – Winner in the Books for Younger Children Category
- “Ocean Speaks: How Marie Tharp Revealed The Ocean’s Biggest Secret,” written by Jess Keating, illustrated by Katie Hickey, and published by Tundra Books (Penguin Random House) – Honor Book in the Books for Younger Children Category
- “Black is a Rainbow Color,” written by Angela Joy, illustrated by Ekua Holmes, and published by Roaring Brook Press – Honor Book in the Books for Younger Children Category
- “A Wish in the Dark,” written by Christina Soontornvat and published by Candlewick Press – Winner in the Books for Older Children Category
- “Land of the Cranes,” written by Aida Salazar and published by Scholastic Press – Honor Book in the Books for Older Children Category
- “Finish the Fight! The Brave and Revolutionary Women who Fought for the Right to Vote,” written by Veronica Chambers and the staff of the New York Times, illustrated by diverse artists, and published by Versify (Houghton Mifflin Harcourt) – Honor Book in the Books for Older Children Category